Sunday, February 22, 2009

Funding For Retirement

Copy and posted by Lisa Crowley


Saving for retirement in good times and bad


(OPRAH.COM) -- No matter how old you are, talking about saving for retirement always brings these questions: How much will I need? Where should I invest my money? How can I make sure it lasts as long as I do?

Deep concerns about the stock market downdraft, however, have led to a more urgent question: Will I be able to retire in this lifetime?

It's completely legitimate. Pension plans are fading away -- only about 20 percent to 30 percent of working Americans have one. Experts believe Social Security will survive, although the program may change. If you have money set aside for retirement, you've likely seen 30 percent or even 50 percent of it washed away.

What should you do? Here are ideas you can use at every age:

Already retired

Cut back on withdrawals. Make a pact with yourself -- and your spouse, if you have one -- to live on the same amount you withdrew in 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment